Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Joys of Beijing

Thursday, September 07, 2006
Current mood: hopeful

Worst Buy of the Day:
A lovely stylish wristwatch of Mao Ze Dong fully equipped with waving arm purchased in Tienanmen's Square (what can I say, I felt inspired...now I just feel stupid.)

Worst Eat of the Day:
Two EXTREMELY DUBIOUS sausages bought and consumed in the Forbidden City...the fact that they were under 30 cents a sausage AND eaten in the "Forbidden" City does not instill much confidence in retrospect. God they were awfully funky. Ick.

So ya. Can't say that Beijing and I are getting along all that well. There were quite a few times yesterday when I wanted to throw my hands up in the air shouting and screaming because I couldn't find anything I needed (like bus/train/metro maps) and no one spoke a WORD of English, not even "train" or "bus" etc. AND my Lonely Planet guide book is a PIECE OF SH*%!!! AWFUL directions and a COMPLETE LACK of bus/train/metro info. But that's okay. I still managed to get my train ticket to Mongolia (for next Tuesday) and then randomly stumbled upon Tienanmen's Square and the Forbidden City (on my way to the Temple of Heaven) so I just decided to spend the day buying corny watches, dubious hot dogs, and getting lost in the old city. That part of the day was nice actually. Anyway. Now I'm waiting to hear back from a Swedish couple who is thinking about going to the Great Wall AND spending the night there. So if they're going then I think I will too! Anyway, that's all for now!
6:22 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment