Thursday, September 30, 2010

Night on the Great Wall of China

Saturday, September 09, 2006
Current mood: tired

Well, ended up spending the night on the Wall last night. Talk about flipping AWESOME! I met up with a wonderful Swedish couple and we headed off a little later in the day. Got there about 6 or so with plans of sleeping on the Great Wall. Right as we were about to climb it and find ourselves a tower to camp in I realized we didn't have any flashlights or candles or ANY form of lightsource or warmth at all! So, some of the local villiagers were super nice and ran around getting us a flashlight and some candles. The climb up was FREAKY cause we were so high up (on the top of a mountain) and the wall in most sections between towers was SOOO STEEP. Talk about unnerving. But we found a nice, albeit rundown tower to camp it in. Right as it was getting dark. It was quite cold, but the night went fairly smoothly. I brought my long underwear and sleeping bag so I was all good. It was slightly uncomforatable sleeping on the uneven old dilapitated stones, with rats running around, but all-in-all quite awesome cause we got to see both the sun set and sun rise on the Great Wall and had it all to ourselves for like 12 hours! You can be assured my pictures ROCK. On the way down we met up with another group of Swedes who were also awesome and had lunch with them. (On a side note, I have been eating to my hearts content here and there from Mexico and I'm still doing okay! Skin's still intact! HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!) After getting back I hit up the Beijing Opera, maybe not something you want to do AFTER a night like that, but it was cool. Today heading finally over towards the Temple of Heaven and then a market that has some interesting shows. AH! I gotta to get going! Only two more days before I head off to the lonely expanse of Mongolia!
6:20 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment